Skip to main content

Functional Language | BEC Preliminary Vantage Higher Business Certificate


Cambridge Business English Certificate | Functional Language

Here are some useful phrases frequently used in communication in a business environment. There are example sentences provided below showing how they can be used.

Asking for PermissionRearranging an AppointmentInformingExplaining/Giving Instructions
Could I...

May I...

Can I...

I would like to...

Please let me know if ... is suitable (convenient).

Unfortunately I cannot attend... on the [date]

Could we meet at the [place] on the [day] to discuss...

... would suit me better.

I wish to inform you that...

It is necessary for us to...

Please feel free to contact ... if you require more details.

You should...

Please contact...

It is necessary to...

When you have completed the project, please email/deliver the details to...

Example Sentences

Asking for Permission

  • Could I pop into your office to see you about an urgent issue?
  • May I call you after the meeting to discuss another matter?
  • Can I call you back in about 10 minutes - I'm busy with a client at the moment.
  • I would like to show you the presentation for tommorrow's meeting, do you have time?
  • Please let me know if Friday afternoon is suitable to go over (review) the plans.





Rearranging an Appointment

  • Unfortunately I cannot attend the conference on the 17th
  • Could we meet at the the conference center on the wednesday to discuss the agenda.
  • Tommorrow/next week/ later today would suit me better. I'm too busy at the moment.

Informing

  • I wish to inform you that there will be a delay in the delivery of your order.
  • It is necessary for us to review you account as it has not been paid this month.
  • Please feel free to contact our sales manager if you require more details.

Explaining/Giving Instructions

  • You should include the sales figures from this month last year, as a comparison.
  • Please contact the customer service department with your request.
  • It is necessary to reserve the conference room one week in advance of the date you wish to use it.
  • When you have completed the project, please email/deliver the details to the project manager whose name is on the file.
How to Get Promoted at Work

How to Get Promoted - Quick & Easy Guide for Fantastic Results!

Discover how to get promoted at work. Tips on how to position yourself as the best candidate for a promotion at work.

Business Topics to Write About

Unique Business Topics to Write About | What you need to know

Feeling stuck on your business essay? Look no further! Explore our list of business topics, from entrepreneurship to finance, and get inspired!

Leadership Interview Questions

Leadership Interview Questions

Leadership Interview Questions and Answers - 5 Leadership Questions You MUST Know How to Answer in an Interview - Essential Interview Skills

Types of Job Interviews

Types of Job Interviews

What to expect in 9 different types of job interviews. How is each different? What to expect in job interviews - how to succeed and impress hiring managers/recruiters.

Business Report Writing

How to Write a Business Report

Report Writing, How to write a business report. Situation Report, Recommendation Report, Yardstick Report, Periodic Report, Investigative Report.

Memo Writing Questions and Answers

Memo Writing Questions and Answers

How to write better memos! Memo writing questions and answers. How to format a memo. Ensure your memos are clear, accurate, and effective!